Wednesday 11 May 2016

I Need Help (Live On Stage)


Bobby Byrd - I Need Help (Live On Stage)
POLYDOR Records PD 1118 - 1970

Side A
I Need Help (I Can't Do It Alone) Part 1
I Need Help (I Can't Do It Alone) Part 2
It's I Who Love You (Not Him Anymore)
Funky Soul Part 1
I Found Out
You've Got To Change Your Mind

Side B
You Got To Have A Job (If You Don't Work You Can't Eat)
I'm Not To Blame
I'll Lose My Mind
My Concerto
Hang Ups We Don't Need (The Hungry We Got To Feed)
You Gave My Heart A Chance To Sing

I have often thought that although James Brown assumed leadership of Bobby Byrd's band, Bobby may have got the better deal. He still got to perform the great music that he (often uncredited) and James created, he released material under his own name, he was M.C. and musical director to the James Brown Show, he was a featured performer in that show, sang duets with James and crucially it was him who James often asked if he could "take it to the bridge" or "count it off"! He got to do all of that without the pressure of being James Brown (which must have been immense) and he always seemed to be having a damn good time.

This great live album from 1970 goes a long way to prove that theory. Musically it's a mix of upbeat funk, ballads and social commentary. The JBs are on fine form, there's strings on 'I Found Out' and he sings a duet with James Brown on 'You've Got To Change You're Mind'.

So here's Bobby, introduced by James, on a couple of funk classics.......



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcomed, what do you think?.........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...